Cheating and my personal experience

Well let's start with some kind of example of cheating that I found almost everyday. Someone who cheat in the road. This is one of the most common cheating that people do, maybe only in Asia (since we "Asian" are stereotypically judged by the western people as a terrible driver/rider) or maybe only in Makassar. All of the drivers do not obey the rule anymore. Well maybe not all of them. But we can found so many street violation happening right in front of our eyes. Ignoring the traffic sign and traffic light (especially yellow one), driving in opposite direction that it should be, crossing the footpath, and wearing no helmet are some of many common traffic violation that are happening almost everyday. What in the world is happening right now? All of those keep happening over and over again without paying attention of the consequence.


Aside from all those horrible thing we are not proud of but still keep on doing it above, there are still so many kinds of cheating happening in our beloved world. A doctor who only gave antibiotic when they actually needed a further examination, a seller who were raising the price just before they put the discount, teacher who didn't assess the assignment/quiz responsibly, and many other thing had happened that I consider that is some kind of a big cheating. Even there are a big old kind of cheating that are mostly known a corruption. Well yeah, it is the biggest problem that we are facing nowadays, cheating.

How is this happen? Well let us take a look back at where everything are started.When you were in your mummy's tummy. Hmmm, let's not go that far back. I mean you should really know where this is going.

Okay, it's cheating at school such as copying homework, making a live vest (if you know what I mean) before facing a quiz, etc. I think the first time I cheated was in my 4th grade (or maybe 5th or 6th I can't really remember). Since I know that I hate social study so I made a small paper with history of colonialist in Indonesia for some test. I wrote every single year and person that are in my book. But fortunately everything I wrote was on that test. But, I ended up not using it. Not because I got caught. No, I didn't. It is because I remember every single thing in that paper. Yeah, so making that "cheaty" paper is kind of a good way of studying for me at that moment. So this is not really is a cheating. Well, maybe it is, since  the paper is actually being used by one of my friend.

Well, why I tell you this is not to brag about such a very smart little me (maybe a little bit) but to tell you that I am not very good at cheating. The thing is, maybe because my parents are both teaching (even my grandparents, aunt, and uncle are). That made me think that if I cheated, I would betray my family and that for a 12 years old children is kind of a big thing. However, I can't say that I didn't cheat at school, no no no, I admit that I did it lots of time.

You might be asking why am I do that horrible thing. Well I ask my self why and there I have the answer. Because everybody does that and I don't want to be the only one to get an advantage from cheating. That might sounds very terrible for you but that is the truth. What I feel about how bad cheating is blown away just by the fact that every single one in the world love to cheat.

From my explanation above, we found one of the reason what make people cheat. It is the environment that made who we are now. At first people think that cheating is bad because it take benefit from other people but knowing that even that other people are cheating, so, yeah, we are such amazing humans. (sarcastic ways)

There are some reason why people cheat, and people have made research about them and one of them are shown in a video below.


Have you seen that? Well you better see that now! But, I will made a quick review because some of you might not be able to watch that discerning Indonesian's slow internet connection.

Dan Ariety, which is the one who performed the research, discovered that people try to cheat only a little bit. So people are not cheating because they feel bad about themselves. This is why people cheat only a little bit it is because somebody want to still feel good about themselves but still get a benefit from cheating. The most interesting part of the research is the method he was using. He made several people answer several number of simple mathematical problems but limited by a very small amount of time. Every number they solve will be rewarded as some amount of money. The twist is after the time is over they are asked to shred the paper. So the research intentionally remove the possibility of getting caught so they can focused more on why people cheat.

I can't explain you everything about it but I will explain you a little bit of thing

Picture : Wikimedia

by Ahmad Akram | Faculty of Engineering | Hasanuddin University

Share on Google Plus

0 komentar: